Few important point regarding regression testing on which we should focus is as follows:
- Test fixed bugs promptly. The programmer might have handled the symptoms but not have gotten to the underlying cause.
- Watch for side effects of fixes. The bug itself might be fixed but the fix might create other bugs.
- Write a regression test for each bug fixed.
- If two or more tests are similar, determine which is less effective and get rid of it.
- Identify tests that the program consistently passes and archive them.
- Focus on functional issues, not those related to design.
- Make changes (small and large) to data and find any resulting corruption.
- Trace the effects of the changes on program memory.