Friday, January 29, 2010
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
- Static testing is about prevention, dynamic testing is about cure.
- The static tools offer greater marginal benefits .
- Static testing is many times more cost-effective than dynamic testing.
- Static testing beats dynamic testing by a wide margin.
- Static testing is more effective.
- Static testing gives you comprehensive diagnostics for your code.
- Static testing achieves 100% statement coverage in a relatively short time, while dynamic testing often often achieves less than 50% statement coverage, because dynamic testing finds bugs only in parts of the code that are actually executed.
- Dynamic testing usually takes longer than static testing. Dynamic testing may involve running several test cases, each of which may take longer than compilation.
- Dynamic testing finds fewer bugs than static testing. Static testing can be done before compilation, while dynamic testing can take place only after compilation and linking.
- Static testing can find all of the followings that dynamic testing cannot find: syntax errors, code that is hard to maintain, code that is hard to test, code that does not conform to coding standards, and ANSI violations.
You can read more about static testing from here.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
A cowboy coder can be a lone developer or part of a group of developers with either no external management or management that controls only non-development aspects of the project, such as its nature, scope, and feature set (the "what", but not the "how").
Are there any cowboys around you? :)
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
I read an interesting e-book by Seth godin about good presentations; here I am summarizing few remarkable points about how to prepare for attractive PowerPoint presentations.
First, make yourself cue cards. You should be able to see your cue cards on your laptop’s screen while your audience sees your slides on the wall. Now, you can use the cue cards you made to make sure you’re saying what you came to say.
Second, make slides that reinforce your words, not repeat them. Create slides that demonstrate, with emotional proof, that what you’re saying is true not just accurate.
Third, create a written document. A leave-behind. Put in as many footnotes or details as you like. Then, when you start your presentation, tell the audience that you’re going to give them all the details of your presentation after it’s over, and they don’t have to write down everything you say.
Here are the five rules you need to remember to create amazing PowerPoint Presentations:
- No more than six words on a slide. EVER.
- No cheesy images. Use professional images from corbis.com instead
- No dissolves, spins or other transitions. None
- Sound effects can be used a few times per presentation, but never (ever) use the sound effects that are built in to the program. Instead, rip sounds and music from CDs and leverage the Proustian effect this can have.
- Don’t hand out print-outs of your slides. They’re emotional, and they won’t work without you there.
Friday, January 1, 2010
Google’s algorithm is quite complicated and tricky, it is:
Relevance is basically the measure of how your website (or more accurately one of your web pages) matches the search phrase the user has entered. Measuring relevance is a relatively sophisticated process, but it boils down to some fundamentals like the title of the page, words on the page and how frequently they occur
PageRank is an independent measure of Google’s perception of the quality/authority/credibility of an individual web page. It does not depend on any particular search phrase. So, assuming that two web pages have the same relevance – then whoever has the higher PageRank gets the better ranking – and shows up at the top of the results page.
How PageRank Is Calculated
PageRank is primarily determined by how many other web pages are linking into you. Google considers this kind of inbound a link a vote of confidence.
That is if your web page is having almost 20 inbound link from website ABC (having PR of 3) is equivalent if your web page has one inbound link from a web site having PR 8.
I have summarized my understanding in this article; you can read more details on inbound marketing from here. I have already written about need of inbound marketing on my blog.